Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Luke's First Year: A Story in Pictures Except the Parts You Wouldn't Want to See Anyway

In May 2005, I graduated with my Masters from Dallas Theological Seminary. Finally freed from school and married for nearly one whole year, my thoughts began to turn towards babies. Adam's thoughts were there, too. We began to discuss and pray over whether or not it was time to start a family. We came to the conclusion that we might as well start our family, after all we couldn't afford to travel like we wanted, and maybe by the time the kids are grown, we would have money to see the world. Of course, that meant we couldn't really afford babies, but hey, we'd make do, and God would take care of it. So, we left it in God's hands, knowing that he is the creator of each soul and would give us a child in his perfect timing.



Now, I have to admit, that in my mind, getting pregnant was supposed to take time. Most couples I know have struggled with getting pregnant for months or years. So, I was a little unprepared when we were pregnant in June. The next 9 months were not easy. Let it suffice to say that at 20 weeks my weight was the same as before I was pregnant. Not good. I then learned the joys of Reglan, which I took before each meal and before bedtime. This helped. I then proceeded to become very large.


March 5th - Two days before Luke was born - Whoa, baby! Look at the size of that belly!


On Thursday, March 2nd, my mother accompanied me to my weekly doctor's appointment. Dr. Hassan walked in the room, measured my belly, and gasped, "This child is big! We gotta get him out!" I sat there thinking, Did I not just see you last week? I know we haven't grown that much in a week! She then proceeded to ask if I was okay with inducing on Tuesday. "Yes! Please get this child out of me!" Walking down the hall, smiling ear to ear, I suddenly realized, Tuesday is March 7th, my birthday. Oh well! Who cares! Get this baby out of me!

We arrived at the hospital at 10pm on Monday night to get checked into my room and start some drugs that would ease labor the following day. We started the pitocin drip at 7am on Tuesday, along with a healthy dose of Stadol, which pretty much just knocked me out. This was nice as I had gotten very little sleep during the night. There was a woman down the hall giving birth. She wasn't near as bad as her 2 or 3 year old who was running up and down the hall screaming.

I woke up after a couple hours and asked the nurse, "When can I have my epidural?"

"Whenever you want it."

"How about now?" I salute all you women who are brave enough to go through labor and delivery without drugs. Me, I thank God for the science of pain killers.

The anesthesiologist, Dr. Montague, soon arrived with his blessed bag o' meds. I liked him as soon as I heard his name. How can you not like someone named Montague? After shooing Adam to the other side of the bed to hold my hand instead of watching the procedure, Dr. Montague made all my pain go away. On his way out the door, he told me to give him a call if I needed a stronger dose. After all, his moto is, "No pain... no pain." What a lovely man.

I slept the blissfull sleep of the drugged.

Around 4pm, the nurse informed me that I was at a 10 and ready to go. Yea! They got me into position - a very strange experience as my legs were so numb I felt they didn't belong to me - and I gave a big push.

"Excellent," the nurse said. "It is so good to have a mom who pushes good. This baby will be out in no time."

I relaxed back against the pillow. "Thanks," I smiled. "I've had lots of practice with all the constipation."

The nurse left to get my doctor. She returned alone. Not good. "I'm sorry, but Dr. Hassan has been pulled into an emergency c-section. We'll have to wait. I'll get Dr. Montague to give you a stronger dose through your epidural so you can wait more comfortably."

At 4:45p we started pushing again. Once again, I was told how great a pusher I am. This was not encouraging after an hour of "pushing great." If I was such the great pusher, why wasn't this baby coming out? The doctor soon discovered that he was face up, and stuck on my pelvic bone. Another 30 minutes of pushing and I was exhausted and crying like a baby.

At one point, as I am sobbing, "I can't do this! I can't do this!" (not very brave, I know), Dr. Hassan says, "Well, we can push him back up and do a c-section."

I thought, Are you crazy? If we were going to do a c-section we should have done it two hours ago, before all the pushing. I said, "No."

We (I mean me. Really, who's doing the work here?) continue pushing, with very little progress. Finally Dr. Hassan reluctantly says, "His head is already too torn up to use the vacuum. I am afraid it would tear his head up more. We can try the forcepts, but they are harder on mom."

"I don't care! Get the forcepts! Get him out!"

After a couple pushes with Dr. Hassan helping with the forcepts, Luke's head finally pops out. Now, this is a very exciting moment, because it happens so quickly that Dr. Hassan, who had knee surgery about a month prior, goes flying back onto the tray of intruments and then to the floor. Every eye in the room follows, with gasps, as she tumbles and pops back up to finish the job. Luke wasn't going anywhere without her.

Then it gets a little scary. I hear her say the cord is wrapped around Luke's neck, and it is very short. Luke had shown no signs of distress throughout the entire labor and two and a half hours of pushing, but he is a little blue. I hear the nurse say, "Come on, baby, breathe," as she rubs him. After what felt like an eternity, blessed screams come from my not so tiny boy.

At this point, I get another dose of Stadol for reasons you probably don't want to hear. I am sure I have already shared more details than some wanted to know. So, at this point on, everything is a fuzzy haze as anxious family members come in one or two at a time to say "hi." At one point, I tell my mom, "I don't know what's real and what I'm dreaming."



There is no doubt in my mind that God's hand was on both Luke and me. It is only through his grace that we both came through relatively unscathed and healthy.


March 7, 2006 - Luke is born at 7:18pm. He weights in at 9lbs 3oz and is 21 inches long.




March 8th - Daddy changes his first diaper.




March 8th - Sweet kiss.




March 8th - Daddy's Boy




March 9th - Getting ready to go home




March 9th - First car ride


On the way home from the hospital, Mommy and Daddy heard a new sound and smelled a new smell. We looked at each other, "Was that you?"


"No."


Luke wasted no time in getting us well acquainted with dirty diapers. If you look closely at the picture, you can tell by the look on his face that he is preparing a surprise for us.


March 9th - First day at home




March 10th - Like many babies, Luke had to spend a few days sunbathing due to jaundice. Adam's dad built this cradle. Adam and his sisters slept in it when they were babies.


Luke showed us early on that he is his daddy's son.


March 10th - Donald Trump Faces




March 11th - The picture in the picture is Daddy as a baby. Aunt Donna brought the picture and the pillow case in the picture to see just how much Luke looks like his daddy.




May 28th - I looked up from cooking in the kitchen and there they were, sitting together, staring in the same direction with the same look on their faces.




May 29th - Cool Dudes in Sunglasses




Have you ever seen a cuter Easter Bunny?




May 10th - Luke is 2 months old and finally gets his first real bath. He is not amused. It took two months to get in the bathtub because Luke does not like change and would not give up his umbilical cord. At his two month check up, his doctor finally just cut it off, leaving what I think is a somewhat interesting belly button.




May 27th - Luke sees himself in the mirror for the first time. He is quite amused.




May 31st - Luke finally enjoys bathtime. I think it is because Daddy is the one bathing him. Daddy makes everything fun.




June 12th - I love this picture. Luke is 3 months old here. What a face!




June 13th - Here's another one I just can't resist sharing. I love that smile!




June 14th - What a handsome boy! Luke is patiently sitting on Mommy's bed while she busily packs for the big move to Abilene. Well, he say patiently for a minute or two.




June 17th - After making it to Abilene, Daddy puts Luke's saucer together for the first time. Luke loves it. He can have a little independence in it.




July 8th - Luke is 4 months old and trying his first spoonfeeding. He is a fan of rice cereal, but learning to eat from a spoon is tricky.




July 20th - Luke and Daddy try out the new baby carrier as they pack for our trip to Colorado. Once again, like fathre, like son. They are admiring themselves in the mirror.




July 22nd - On our way, we stop at the Great Sand Dunes to play. Here I sit with Cynthia, my sister-in-law.




July 22nd - Adam enjoying the Sand Dunes. Adam hiked nearly to the top of the Dunes. Luke was off playing with Pop, Granny, and Cousin Amelia at the entrance to the Dunes. They weren't interested in hiking across the sand.



July 27th - Here we sit by the campfire in Colorado. This was Luke's first big family vacation. We stayed in a cabin, way up in the mountains. The closest thing to civilization was a tiny little town called Creed, an hour down the mountain via scary, windy, narrow dirt road. It was beautiful. We went horseback riding and four wheeling (I nearly fell off the mountain - a story for another time). Adam learned to fly-fish with my dad, brather, and cousin. We even got to join up wiht Adam's family who were vacationing in Silverton for the week.


July 25th - Adam, Grandpa D, and Grandma D stroll through the streets of Silverton carrying Luke, Will, and Sam.


July 25th - First Bar Experience. Luke, Will, Sam, and Amelia enjoy a nice bottle of milk at a Silverton pub with Adam, Grandpa D, Amy, and Grandma D. (Granny and I are there, too.)


July 26th - Adam, Brian, Micah, Granny, Luke, Noah, Amelia, and Pop watch as Cynthia, Jeff, and I get on our horses.


July 26th - Jeff (my brother), Cynthia (Jeff's wife), Brian (my cousin), Me, and Adam enjoyed the scenary and the personalities of our horses. It was amazing how we were paired up with horses that matched our personalities. You can see both Brian and his horse like to be the center of attention.


July 28th - Luke and Daddy have fun on the cabin porch. The table is covered in walnuts because we enjoyed watching the chipmunks.

July 28th - My dad was determined for Adam to catch a fish. So, on our last day, we wathed as Adam caught a big one.

August 4th - Luke is nearly 5 months old, and he has his first taste of peas. He is not a fan.


August 22nd - Luke loves his bouncy seat. He is quite the jumper..


August 23rd - Luke is a pro at sitting all by himself. Mommy is so proud and happy that he is learning to play by himself.


August 25th - Luke helps Daddy grill hamburgers. Also helping are Cousin Micah (left) and Cousin Noah (right). Daddy loves hamburgers.


September 11th - Luke is 6 months old. Daddy spoonfeeds Luke for the first time. What a mess! Perhaps he should have started with something less colorful, like applesauce.

Daddy's way of cleaning up is to stick Luke in the sink and hose him off. Luke is still a mess, but at least now it is just water.



September 13th - Luke loves playing outside with the big boys. He also loves balls of any shape or size.


October 3rd - Luke decides it is more fun to eat when feet are involved. After fighting a losing battle, Mommy gives up trying to keep the feet down and runs to get the camera.
Luke soon discovers that two feet are better than one.


October 3rd - Granny gives Luke his first popsicle. Yum. Luke likes popsicles.


October 15th - Luke is 7 months old. Uncle Brian brings home a chair that is just Luke's size. Luke loves it. This is the first time Luke poses for the camera. We laughed as he made lots of funny faces.


October 17th - Luke loves the vacuum. He and Cousin Amelia get in close to investigate after Daddy turns it off. Luke will sit and watch the vacuum go back and forth, back and forth, back and forth...


October 21st - Luke and Daddy love playing outside together. Mommy loves her boys.


October 31st - Luke is the cutest little egg in town!
Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall...
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall!




November 6th - The day before Luke turns 8 months. he crawls for the first time.

November 11th - We return to Dallas for a family wedding. We got to stay with Kelly and Jonathan. Luke had fun playing at Kelly's house. She has lots of fun cat toys...
magazines to shred...
and the coffee table is the perfect height for pulling up.


While in Dallas, we also got to spend some time with Adam's family. Luke loves his Aunt Annie. She is super fun to play with.


Grandpa D reads to a captive audience. (Luke adn Cousin Sam)


Luke love his Grandma D and Grandpa D.


Luke helps Daddy and Grandpa D in the woodshop.
Watch out Grandpa D. It looks like you have a helper.


Motorcycle Dude!


We also got to visit Aunt Joan and Uncle Tim on our trip. Ride 'em, Cowboy!


November 12th - Luke loves his Aunt Joan and Uncle Tim.


November 16th - Grandpa D made Luke his very own set of wooden blocks. Luke thinks they are very tasty.


November 18th - We get to visit Great Grandma Carr (my dad's mom). We always have so much fun at her farm.


November 20th - Luke's first time behind the wheel. Driver's liscense? I don't need no stinkin' driver's liscense!


November 21st - We're back in Dallas for a visit. Luke enjoys playing with twin cousins Sam (right) and Will (center). Grandpa D and Grandma D's house is so fun.


November 22nd - When Pop comes home, he likes to take the babies for a walk outside. Luke and Amelia love it. Here they are checking on things in the greenhouse.


November 23rd - Luke's first Thanksgiving. It is such a beautiful day. We have fun playing in the backyard. Micah took Amelia and Luke for a ride.


Luke plays football with the big boys.


Luke zerberts Daddy's cheek.

Luke loves to fly. Mommy doesn't like to watch, but it is hard to turn away from the smile and giggle.


November 24th - Luke takes his first bike ride. He enjoys the ride, but...
he's not so sure about the seat.


December 1st - Luke is quite the crawling pro. Watch out!
He's fast!

Here I must pause to include a small caveat on the ways babies sleep, and the way I as a first time mother dealt with my sleeping baby. There is nothing more precious to gaze at than a sleeping baby. Just yesterday, I quietly mooned over the face of my sleeping child. When we brought Luke home from the hospital, we could hardly put him down. I would hold him throughout most of the day as he slept against my chest. It was heavenly. On the rare occasion when I would lay him in his cradle to sleep, I was sure to place him on his back or side as the pediatrician had instructed, or hounded really, every time we saw her. This is very important for infants, according to studies on SIDS. As a new mom, who wasn't quite sure her baby could continue breathing if she wasn't holding him or watching him, I diligently checked every few minutes to make sure his tiny chest continued moving up and down. Even during the night, I would wake up and check on him periodically. The ironic part is that most babies tend to sleep better on their belly. As soon as Luke learned to roll over, he would roll to his belly to sleep. This terrified me. For the for the first week or so, I would actually check to see if he had rolled to his belly and roll him back to his back. He, of course, would just roll back to his belly a few minutes after I had gone. This continued night after night until I heard God speak in compassion to my heart, "This is my child. I will sustain him through the night."


Then, when Luke started crawling, things got funny. He began to sleep in the funniest positions, most involving his rear raised in the air:

November 28th - Does that look comfortable to you?


December 3rd - He is actually laying on his foot. I can't imagine getting in this position on purpose.


December 9th - Luke crawls out of his pants before falling asleep.


December 24th - Luke is sleeping with his foot sticking out of the crib.


November 30th - At this point, we were still sharing a room with Luke. I got to wake up most mornings to the smiles and coos of my little guy. He likes to stand in the middle of his mobile.


December 12th - Luke is 9 months old. We celebrate Christmas at Aunt Joan's house. Sam, Will, and Luke have a ball playing together.


December 18th - It is Luke's first experience in opening presents. He is very fascinated with the paper.


December 22nd - We celebrate Christmas in Abilene with the Carr family. What a bunch! Luke sits with Carr cousins Micah, Noah, and Amelia (left to right).


Daddy tries to help Luke figure out this opening presents thing.


What a cutie! Luke is quite the charmer in his Christmas outfit.


December 25th - We celebrate Christmas in Dallas with the Turner family. Grandpa D made Luke a wagon. Luke loves the wagon, but is anxious to get the hat off his head.

Christmas is exhausting.


December 27th - Luke plays with Grandpa D at his office before we head back home.


January 10th - Luke is 10 months old. He practices walking with his new car. Thanks Grandpa D and Grandma D!


January 20th - We learn that when one has dirty diapers 4-6 times a day that leak onto one's pants, one cannot be picky about one's clothes.


January 30th - Luke enjoys his Elmo table. Thanks, Aunt Donna!


February 11th - Luke is 11 months old!


February 16th - Luke explores the backyard on his own.


It won't be long before Luke is walking.

It has been an incredibly short year. I can't believe my baby is now one year old. God has been so good to us. Luke has already brought light into our family. I pray that he will continue to fulfill his name and bring light into the world for the Lord.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

Christin, about 2/3 of the pictures are missing =( I'm not sure if I'm the only one unable to view them or not. Can you try to repost?

It's funny that you and Luke share a birthday. Caleb was born on Josh's and my 1st anniversary. Before he was born, I was rooting for ANY OTHER DAY. But, the moment he took that first breath, I realized that God had given us the best anniversary gift ever!

kirsten said...

Thanks for the restrospective!! What a fun little guy; I can see what a tremendous blessing he is to you & Adam. Congratulations & many continued blessings for your family!!

Christin said...

I have reposted, and it looks like all the pictures are there now. Let me know if they are not.

Rebecca - I understand about sharing the day. While I was pregnant, I was hoping to avoid my birthday, but now I think of Luke as the best birthday present ever.

Kirsten - Luke is more of a blessing than I can yet comprehend.

Thanks for making it through my megapost and letting me indulge in sharing a year's worth of pictures.

Jessica said...

Thanks for sharing, Christin! It's fun to see how fast they grow--and Luke is a sweetie. Next time you're in Colorado look us up. We've lived here forever but still haven't been to Great Sand Dunes--it looks great! Maybe this summer.

Christin said...

Jessica - We will definitely look you up next time we are in Colorado. Luke and I might get to go to Denver this summer, but we're not sure, yet.

If you go to the Sand Dunes, go early in the morning. The sand gets incredibly hot when the sun hits it. We left our shoes at the car and sorely regretted it. (pun intended)

Rebecca said...

Yea! Thanks for the pictures. They were great! It makes up for the pre-blog months =)

Jen said...

Christin,
I enjoyed reading your story and seeing all the photos. Thanks for catching us up!

Jen