Sunday, March 18, 2007

Big Date in Dallas (Friday and Saturday, March 16th-17th)

We ended our Spring Break with a wonderful date night in Dallas. Adam had been planning this one for a little while. He had suggested to several family members that they give me gift cards to III Forks, one of my favorite restaurants in Dallas, for my birthday. This is the type of restaurant that is so fancy and expensive, we could only go if given gift cards. Adam had also arranged for Grandpa D and Grandma D to keep Luke while we stayed in a hotel. They were thrilled with the opportunity.

So, on Friday, we packed up and headed for Dallas. We left Luke with Grandma D and went to check in at our hotel. It was very nice. We changed into our nice clothes and headed to III Forks. The meal was incredible. We both enjoyed a scrumptious Filet Mignon. As Adam likes to say, the steak there is so tender, you can cut it with a fork. Everything was delicious, from the salad to the garlic mashed potatoes to the rosemary corn. To top it off, we indulged in the Chocolate Ganache Cake.

The last time we had been to III Forks, I was about 8 1/2 months pregnant. Adam had taken me for my birthday last year. At the end of our meal, we tried the Chocolate Ganache Cake. I cannot tell you how amazing this cake is. Every bite was heaven. However, we were both already full when we ordered the cake, so we were unable to finish it. We left just a little on the plate. The waitress asked if we would like her to box it up for us. I said no thanks, thinking that there really wasn't enough left to make it worth taking home. Well, for at least the next two weeks (and this is no exaggeration), my very first thought upon waking up in the morning each and every day was, "Oh, I wish we had brought that cake home." So, a year later, I finally got to have more of that cake. And, it was just as good as I had remembered.

Adam and I had a wonderful time, dining slowly together. We enjoyed uninterrupted conversation together on interesting, thought provoking subjects. It was lovely. My husband is so wonderful and so sweet to pamper me and treat me like a queen.

The next day, we shopped for Luke's final birthday present - a forward facing car seat. We then had lunch together at one of the other, more every day Dallas restaurants that we don't have at home. That probably sounds funny. We don't eat out every day, but we did eat out a lot when we lived in the Dallas area. It is one of those strange things about the Dallas culture. I once heard that Dallas is at the top for most restaurants per capita.

Anyway, we then headed down to Grandpa D's house to pick up Luke. Adam and his dad spent 30-45 minutes installing the new car seat, and then we loaded up and headed home.

As for the new car seat, Luke likes it. He is higher up and can see out the windows. He was so engrossed in the passing scenery, that he would throw whatever toy I gave him on the floor. The only problem with a forward facing car seat, is that it sits up much more than the rear facing ones. Therefore, one's head fall's to one's chest when asleep.

Oh! He is getting to be such a big boy!

1 comment:

christianne said...

I loved hearing about this date night! III Forks...what an interesting name. It sounds a lot like Manuels on the 28th that I wrote about on my blog -- tender filet mignon, unbelievable wine pairings, quiet ambience that's perfect for important conversation, and that oh-so-to-die-for chocolate cake. So glad you two got to enjoy it!