Friday, February 16, 2007

My Belly as Abstract Art

Alright. You asked for it. Now, I have to qualify that I am not as skinny as I was in college. Nor am I a bikini wearing kinda gal. So, please excuse the flub and severe whiteness. This tummy doesn't see much daylight. However, in my pride, I must also point out that thanks to a daily slathering of stinky lotions during pregnancy, there are no stretch marks on my belly. There may be some on my rear- no one told me I would need to guard against rear end stretchmarks during pregnancy - but not on my belly. Also, I assure you I have showered several time since surgery. The tape residue from the bandages is quite stubborn, and my belly doesn't quite feel like a rough scrub yet. Anyway, here it is:



I measured. The incision is 5 inches, not 6.




Close-up.
That little port hole was a real joy. While I was in the hospital, they had a tube in the hole leading to a little bladder type thing. This was so the fluid would drain out rather than building up inside. The nurse would empty the bladder about once a day until it pretty much stopped draining. Then the fun and games were over, and they pulled the tube out. I nearly jumped out of the bed.
I know. It's a lovely story.

10 comments:

kirsten said...

Your post was hilarious. :o) I think my neighbors just heard me laughing!! I love the sense of humor with which you present your new battle scars (including the very descriptive labels). They are VERY impressive!! Thank you for sharing. And again, glad you're home and doing well ...

Jen said...

Hey, Christin! I was so pleased to find your blog. It is so cool to reconnect with so many friends this way.

Having recently obtained my own battle wound when my daughter was born via an emergency c-section, I can appreciate your belly art, tape and all.

Jen :o)

Christin said...

Thanks, Kirsten. It is so good to share humor. Ah, memories of paper chains and sitting at the computer wearing our mortar boards.

Jen! I am so glad you visited. I have been trying to figure out which link on the others' blogs is yours. I look forward to catching up on what has been going on with you.

christianne said...

I have to confess it was somewhat hard for me to look close up at the scars -- I don't do well with pain situations. When I was growing up, I couldn't figure out how I would EVER have a child because I just couldn't stand the prospect of all that pain to get the job done. I wondered if the kid could just stay inside for the rest of its life. :)

So glad you are back home and getting better. I, too, loved the descriptive tags for all the points of incision.

Christin said...

Christianne, I had the same thoughts about childbirth. However, I must go back to God is good. I was so miserable by the end of my pregnancy, I couldn't wait for the agony of delivery. And, I have nothing against drugs. As I see it, God gave some nice people the wonderful brains to figure out epidurals. I fully partook of the blessing called "epidural." I will always love my anesthesiologist and remember him fondly.

Anonymous said...

Coolness!! Love the labels. And I know you're competitive and all, but you really don't have to out-scar me, OK? It's not really as glamorous as it seems! =]

Christin said...

Okay, Lisa. I want out of the competition. You can win. One friend told me all I need to complete my collection is a C-section scar. No thanks. I don't think I could really show that one on my blog.

Jessica said...

Hi Christin! The circle of contacts continues to widen! I'm glad to hear that your surgery went well and interested if you ever find out what caused the hematoma. Your family is gorgeous and I will keep checking in for updates....

Love,
Jessica

Christin said...

Jessica! It is so good to hear from you. I look forward to catching up with you on your blog.

I am afraid the cause of the hematoma will forever be a mystery. But I too would love to know. Unfortunately, the answer lies in the deep recesses of my brain, and try as I might, I cannot think of a thing that could really be the cause.

Rebecca said...

I loved the labeled belly. That's what art museums should provide. . . a little "map" of the abstract art. You had me chuckling in my chair =)