Thursday, February 22, 2007

Fear

Frank Herbert uses “Fear is the mind killer,” as one of the main motifs in his Dune series. He is right. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is also the heart witherer, the soul cager, and the purpose quencher.

Fear is my captor.

Emotions are funny things. I believe emotions are one of God’s greatest gifts to us. They make life interesting. They make life livable. They are dangerous. Emotion can be the thing that most easily distracts us from God. Emotion effortlessly causes us to sin.

Emotions in and of themselves are not wrong. I do not believe we can control what emotion bubbles up from within. However, we can control what we do with the emotion that comes. Sin lurks in the moment we decide what to do with the emotion. It is not wrong for anger to bubble up at my husband. I sin when I act on that anger, when I refuse to forgive, when I make him pay. It is not a sin to feel fear. I sin when I sit wallowing in worry rather than trusting God. When I allow my fear to control me, rather than me controlling the fear, I am wrong.

I am wrong in this area often.

It is strange. I remember living without constant fear. I think fear started being an issue for me in college when I took a self-defense class. Ironic, I know. A class that should have empowered me, actually caused me to start recognizing all the dangers around me. I learned all the right moves in class. I could even perform them well on the other girls in class. Then I tried them on my boyfriend at the time. Nothing seemed to work.

I think TV also played a role in increasing my fear. For years I relished crime dramas. In high school I would stay up to watch Law & Order, the original version. I now severely limit my viewing of crime TV and the news. The fear these things birth in me is so great that I currently am unable to be at home alone when a repair man comes. This is sad.

God does not want us to live in fear.

So then, brothers and sisters, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh (for if you live according to the flesh, you will die), but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are the sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of slavery leading again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption, but whom we cry, “Abba, Father.”
Romans 8:12-15 (NET)
Fear enslaves us. Fear enslaves me only because I let it. God has given me the means to overcome my fear by giving me the Spirit of God.

My mind struggles to find a balance between common sense and trust in God. I think that there are some things we just don’t do because they are stupid. I don’t walk down the middle of the freeway, expecting God to keep cars from hitting me. However, my common sense is perhaps in error when it keeps me from doing stupid things for the glory of God. Should I offer a ride to the girl walking down the road? Do I invite the homeless man out for a cup of coffee?

I am struck by the story of Ezra. Ezra was a priest and teacher living in Babylon at the end of Israel’s exile. When the time came, he returned home to Jerusalem to rebuild the Temple. He is with a group of 42,360 men in addition to servants and animals. They carried with them a wealth of gold, sliver, and priestly garments. This group was not inconspicuous as they crossed the hundreds of miles from Babylon to Israel. They were a ripe target for thieves and bandits. But get this, Ezra writes:
I called for a fast there by the Ahava Canal, so that we might humble ourselves before our God and seek from him a safe journey for us, our children, and all our property. I was embarrassed to request soldiers and horsemen from the king to protect us from the enemy along the way, because we had said to the king, “The good hand of our God is on everyone who is seeking him, but his great anger is against everyone who forsakes him.” So we fasted and prayed to our God about this and he answered us….

On the twelfth day of the first month we began traveling from the Ahava Canal to go to Jerusalem. The hand of our God was on us, and he delivered us from our enemy and from bandits along the way. So we came to Jerusalem, and we stayed there for three days.
Ezra 8:21-23; 31-32 (NET)
Here is foolishness for the glory of God. Rather than compromising God’s reputation as sovereign and almighty, Ezra and the gang traveled across the world without guards, without protection. Only they weren’t without protection. God, the One in control of all things, protected them and brought them safely to their destination.

I am working on controlling my fear. It is a slow learning process, but God is renewing me day by day.

I picked up my copy of Victor Hugo’s Les Miserables last summer. I read it in high school. So far, I have only reread the first 380 pages. A good portion of the first of the book focuses on Monseigneur Bienvenu, a man foolish for the glory of God. At one point, the bishop is asked if he is “quite sure if there was not a degree of imprudence in leaving his door, day and night, open to whoever might wish to enter, and if he did not fear that some evil would befall a house so poorly defended.” The bishop answers, “Unless God protects a house, they who guard it watch in vain.” This has become my mantra.

Fear kills my mind. It causes me to think rationally when I should be thinking faithfully. Fear withers my heart. It causes me to overlook the plight of others in order to safeguard my self and my family. Fear cages my soul. It erects a wall between me and my savior, preventing me from fully experiencing the peace of God. Fear quenches my God-given purpose in life. It causes me to retreat within myself and put off till tomorrow what God would have me do today.

Father, I believe. Help my unbelief. (Mark 9:24)

7 comments:

kirsten said...

What an insightful post! I recently read through the book of Ezra & was struck by the same thing about him leading that whole lot through dangerous territory.

As a fellow fan of Les Miserables, I also remember the bishop saying, "The devil may visit, but God lives here." I love that.

christianne said...

Christin, this post near broke my heart. Thank you for your honesty, your willingness to be bold before us. You displayed great courage (not fear!) in sharing these things. Thank you for trusting us with you.

I am sorry that fear plagues you so frightfully. I will be praying with you through this time.

Christin said...

Thank you, both.

When I finished writing this post, I really wanted Adam to read it before I posted it. Then, the irony hit me, and the quiet little voice yelled, "Just do it." So, I did.

Rebecca said...

Christin, I have also been struggling with fear recently. Mine started when I found out I was pregnant. . .my mind suddenly started imagining all of the evil potential in this world. I could hardly check the newspaper or get online and read the headlines. I began hesitating to walk down the street to the mailbox even. And, after Caleb was born, it intensified.

One Sunday, my husband and I were driving to the coast after church and I was sharing with him my struggles. He very gently encouraged me to fill my mind with God's word to combat the fear-filled thoughts and the sin that had resulted by my allowing them to consume me. What a blessing and relief! I began memorizing passages to help me focus on God's faithfulness and care of His children.

I can't say the fear is gone completely, but I no longer feel trapped by it. I still struggle and find myself heading back into captivity, but now I have a weapon.

Thank you so much for sharing your fears and for the passage in Ezra. It is encouraging to know that others are struggling with similar things.

love,Rebecca

Christin said...

Rebecca, thank you for your encouraging words. I think having a baby intensified my fear also. But I think the thing that was worst for me was living alone in the Dallas area. Moving to a smaller town has helped a little.

I would love to know which verses have been helpful to you in this. I hate that this is an area in which I sin repeatedly.

Your blog post about whether or not to keep your blog public was a great encouragement to me in starting my own blog. Thank you for being open about your fear issues. Your openess has been encouraging in my own struggle. You are right. It is good to know you are not the only one struggling with something.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for completely sharing your all with us. What a precious little boy the Lord has blessed you with. Happy Birthday. I have a card to send but do not have your new address. Please send it to me.I will be praying for your during this time of working through fear. This last week the scripture "Be still and KNOW that I am God" has so been on my heart. As I focus on that scripture all of the "STUFF" of life just seems to vanish and bring me back to the fact that HE IS GOD. He has not lost control of anything....He has control of it all and I can rejoice in that fact. Love you and again thank you for the beautiful journey through words and pictures.

Christin said...

Thank you, Nancy. I had never taken that meaning from, "Be still and know that I am God," but I will now. It is so true. I can rest knowing that God is God and in control.