Friday, February 2, 2007

Humble Pie

It is a universal truth accepted by all women that she who cuts her own bangs not only is a fool, but will look the fool for the following two months. (sorry, Ms. Austen) As a woman, I knew and believed this. As a woman, I thought I was the exception.

I loved my bangs. They were part of my new look, post child-bearing. I hadn’t had bangs since I was in middle school. The bangs were my favorite part of the new ’do. However, I am blessed with fast growing hair. So, it doesn’t take long for the perfect bangs to become annoying, I can’t see, ouch! something’s in my eyes bangs.

Now, I must also admit, that I have a wonderful hair guy – Teddy. Teddy gave me my first haircut. When I lived in California, I would wait until I was home to get a haircut from Teddy. He has cut the hair of my mother, father, brother, sister-in-law, nephews, and husband. In fact, I had to take Adam to be approved by Teddy before I could marry him. As an amazing guy, Teddy told me that whenever my bangs need to be cut, all I have to do is swing by and he will cut them for free. I have done this before, and true to his word, Teddy shortened my fringe for a smile. However, in my mind, it was a hassle to pack up the baby and drive the mile to the salon.

So, as the bangs grew ever more annoying and blinding, my patience ebbed and my courage flowed. Upon exiting the shower Saturday night with freshly washed hair, I boldly grabbed the scissors and made what I thought to be a very conservative cut that would leave my front hair longer than I actually wanted. As soon as the offending ends fell away, I knew the sad truth of the matter…I’m a fool. How hair cut even with the pupils of my eyes can spring back to the middle of my forehead is beyond me.

The following day, the family rang with a chorus, “Why didn’t you go see Teddy?” Because I am a fool.

To bring the whole episode to a poignant end and drive the lesson home to Christin’s heart…Adam and I were shopping for birthday cards last night. In the rummage I picked up a cute card with a black and white picture of a little girl making a funny face. The top of the card read, “At least now you are old enough,” and inside, “to know not to cut your own bangs.” I flipped back to the front. The middle section of the little girl’s bangs were cut to her scalp.

I thank God for humility and a sense of humor.




To completely purge my soul, I here submit a picture taken today. What is left of my bangs shall stay clipped back until they are once again suitable for viewing by all ages.

4 comments:

kirsten said...

You CRACK me up, my dear! I think Ms Austen would be pleased to read your version of events. I have done the same thing many times! If it's any consolation, you are as BEAUTIFUL as ever!!

Rebecca said...

Yea!!! Christin has a blog! Your post was hilarious. Can't wait to hear more from you.

Anonymous said...

FUNNY!!

It's still weird to me to see you with short hair, let alone with bangs.

christianne said...

Oh, that is such a bummer! I know exactly what you mean. I did it once in junior high and learned never to trust myself to do it again! Wow, I haven't had bangs in a LONG TIME.