Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Mommy Vacation '07 Part 1 - Fly the Friendly Skies - If You Can

Mommy Vacation ’07 began on a Thursday night in the Dallas metroplex with wonderful Kelly Matlock. Kelly is one of my close friends from college. She is the type friend who, even after months of no contact, I never feel awkward around. We are never at a loss for words. Most times we stay up till single digit hours of the morning talking, something I don’t do easily post-college days. However, with Kelly, time flies, just like those days in the college dorm when we sat in the hallway, taking turns massaging the other’s back, talking (usually about boys), and pretending to read. We of course slept in on Friday, and upon waking resumed talking while enjoying non-fat vanilla lattes from Starbucks.

Being ever conscious to be on time wherever I go, I asked Kelly to drop me off at the airport two hours before my flight time. It took all of five minutes to check my bags and maybe another two to get through security. So, I had ample time to wander through the new American terminal at DFW, scope out all the restaurants, and settle on a pretzel and soda from Auntie Anne’s. Armed with pretzel, drink, and novel, I found a chair and began to enjoy my freedom from responsibility.

I kept an eye on my watch so I could be sure to go to the restroom before boarding began. At the appropriate time, I gathered my belongings and headed across the hall. I returned to the same seat and got a few more pages read before boarding the plane. Once onboard, I painstakingly arranged my belongings for maximum foot room and reachability. I settled into my seat with my book and read until I was joined by the lady sitting next to me. We chatted a little while the other passengers boarded.

I soon noticed that it had been a few minutes since anyone had walked down the aisle, but the plane was far from full. Then, the captain’s voice came over the sound system. Now, I have flown a time or two or ninety in my life. I know that the captain does not usually address the passengers until the plane is cruising at a comfortable altitude. So, I perked my ears and listened (unlike when the flight attendant goes through the safety procedures). He calmly stated that there was a hole in the cargo bay door and instructed all to gather their belongings and get off the plane. He further explained that it should only take an hour to locate another plane. No big deal, I say to myself. I’m on vacation.

I returned to my seat (yes, the exact same one, after all, it and I had grown accustomed to one another) at the gate with some newly acquired fudge and re-immersed myself into my book. At the appropriate time, I trekked across the hall to the bathroom once again, this time noting that a draw back to traveling alone is that one must gather all her belongings, schlep them into the bathroom, try to find a somewhat clean place in the stall to place said belongings while taking care of business, re-gather them, schlep them to the sink, try to find a dry place to put them so one can wash her hands, and then schlep them back to one’s seat.

A new plane was at the gate and ready for boarding in nearly the time they had promised. I re-boarded, re-found my seat, re-painstakingly arranged my belongings, and resettled into my seat. I re-met the lady sitting next to me and began easily chatting with her. Once all passengers were onboard, the flight attendant stopped by to offer a refreshing beverage. (Did I mention I was flying first class? One of the disadvantages of waiting too long to reserve my plane ticket with Advantage Miles. I can’t say that minded much. I really enjoy flying first class.) Making the most of my first class status, I ordered a Chardonnay.

About halfway through my plastic tumbler, I heard the Captain’s voice, “Folks, I am so sorry. I just cannot tell you how sorry I am.” At this point, my higher level reasoning skills kick in and I know that what is to follow is not going to be good. “There is a hole in the cargo bay door. We are going to have to disembark and find a third plane.”

I heard grumblings of “is this some sort of conspiracy?” as I downed the rest of my wine. I shared a laugh with the lady next to me, re-gathered my belongings, and re-walked back up the gangway telling myself, Hey, what does it matter? I am on vacation. I can sit and read my book anywhere.

At this point, I realized that I had yet to eat anything of substance and if I wanted to continue enjoying the perks of flying first class, I needed to find some real food. So, with a rumbling in my belly, I went in search of food for the third time, this time for something a little more substantial. Thus, armed with a big burrito from Blue Mesa, I headed back to my trusty old seat at the gate. However, I began to notice that the now familiar faces from my flight had begun a mass exodus. A little panicked, I asked around and found that they our flight had changed gates and terminals. I joined the migration, walking as quickly as I could, not knowing how long I had to get to the next gate, until I noticed that the entire flight crew, including the captain, was just ahead of me. I relaxed knowing that the plane was going nowhere without el capitan.

I have to admit, though I had been tempted to lose patience, at this point the whole thing had an aura of humor about it. I was actually recognizing the people sitting around me. I talked to a group of college kids who were on their way home from Rome. I talked to the business man who sat across the aisle from me on the previous two planes. I don’t usually interact with strangers. I am shy. (Something I am working on.) This was a new, wonderful, and humorous experience.

Soon we all, now bonded through bad air travel luck (or disguised blessing from God – what if they hadn’t found the holes in the previous two planes?), boarded a third plane.

As we finally left the ground, I rejoiced in God. Though I have flown many times before, I appreciated the view this time. I wondered at the stinky Trinity River flowing through the Dallas Metroplex. I marveled at the clouds floating above and below. I awed that God would allow his people-creations to learn to become airborne.


13 comments:

christianne said...

Okay, this post takes the cake for hilarity and friend-enjoyment today. I laughed aloud a few times. I thought to myself, "I like this girl's taste in food -- a vanilla latte, an Auntie Anne's pretzel, fudge, and a Blue Moon burrito -- yum!" I nodded my head in "I know!" fashion when you went off on the woes of traveling alone when it comes to visiting the facilities. I loved that you had such a relaxed response to all the craziness going on with the plane(s).

Oh, and the other thing I did while reading was gasp out loud: "Oh my gosh! I remember Kelly!" And THEN I proceeded to remember that not only were the two of you roommates on Alpha Third your freshman year but that you were next-door neighbors to ME! Do you remember this? I had totally forgotten until just now. It was a cool, even-smaller-world connection for me to make, after all this time.

Anonymous said...

Even though I was vicariously "living" this with you through various phone calls ("Lisa? We're going to be another hour later..."), this was hillarious to read about!

Looking forward to more posts!

kirsten said...

I agree. This was hilarious!! I remember encountering just such luck trying to fly out of LAX at Thanksgiving-time my freshman year. The flight left 4 hours late (I think it was due to an oxygen bag not working). Luckily, traffic was so awful in the Seattle area that my family arrived at the airport the same time I did!! :o)

You write this with such dry, straight-forward humor. I could feel the tug between "hey, this doesn't matter -- I'm on vacation" and somewhere between the lines there is a "when the HECK is this plane going to take off?!". :o)

You write well, my friend!!

Christin said...

Thank you all for laughing with me.

Christianne - You lived on Alpha Third Odd? Right next to Kelly? I do not remember that at all! Who was your roommate? I thought you lived in Hart until moving into Li.
Alissa Bach was Kelly's roommate all four years. I lived with Liz Reynolds (who grew up with Kelly) our first two years in Alpha. We were at the other end of the hall, at the top of the stairs, next door to Kirsten and Laura.

Lisa - I am glad you enjoyed reading, even though you knew the full story. Thanks for being so patient that day and laughing with me in the midst of it all.

Kirsten - Oh yes, I remember LAX woes. Did you switch to John Wayne when we became more educated in the ways of the LA area. It was a MUCH nicer airport. It is amazing how memory fails me. I am sure I drove you to the airport more than once. Oh! Do you remember when you took me to the airport only to find that my flight was canceled and then racing across the LA freeways to find some little airport - Long Beach, maybe? I remember the airport looked like soemthing out of a 50s movie.

christianne said...

Christin, I lived on Alpha Third Odd for the first semester. My roommate was a sophomore who had picked my name out of the pile. We were only roommates for a semester, until I moved to Sigma to room with a friend. My sophomore year I thought I was going to commute until shortly before the semester started, and that's when I had the chance to room with Denise in Hart. I loved Hart!

I'm laughing "listening" to you guys talking about SoCal airports, since all of them are so familiar to me. I've been to them each so many times. Your description of the Long Beach airport was perfect. And John Wayne is DEFINITELY an airport of choice for Orange County.

Unknown said...

This was a nice read. I am going to live through you and your vacation because I don't see one in my future any time soon. I can't wait until the next episode!

Heather said...

Okay, freaky question of the day. Did you go to DTS? Because I happened to know a Christin at DTS when I was there and she happened to look just like you and she happened to room with a girl named Lisa for the first couple of years (so seeing a comment by Lisa made me think this even more), and how freaky would that be if we were brought back together by Christianne, whom I've never even met in real life (although I feel like we're kindred spirits in the blogging world)? Oh, and if I remember correctly, I do believe that the Christin I knew at DTS liked sci-fi and fantasy, but maybe I'm making that up.
See, this is what happens when girls get married and get new last names in the States.

Christin said...

Ahh! Boys have it so easy!

Heather, I am who you think I am! And, the Lisa who comments on my blog is the Lisa you know. I met Christianne in college, and have just reconnected with her through blogging over the last 6 months or so.

Does anyone doubt that God is in control (even of blogworld)and has a sense of humor?

Anonymous said...

LOL!!! OK, so who is this Heather and how does she know so much about you?

Strains of "It's a Small World" are playing in my head...

Heather said...

Little did you know that there was indeed a hole in the cargo bay in this third plane, but they thought, hey, the heck with it.
Lisa, thx. Like I needed that stuck in my head.

Anonymous said...

It's the least I can do!! (But at least I don't know the words, unlike SOME people commenting on this blog!) =]

christianne said...

Whoa, dude. It really IS a small world. (And I don't appreciate having that song stuck in my head, either, thank you very much!) :)

This is so cool! It's especially cool because of what Heather said about all this crazy connection happening in blogland, when some of us have never even met!

kirsten said...

No posts for August. Tsk, tsk.

:o)

I guess you've been too busy chasing after a one-year-old (and sending me replies to my lengthy e-mails).

Looking forward to your next installment!