Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Luke's First Day of School

I cannot believe it has been more than a month since my last post. I was shocked when I read Kirsten’s comment tsking me for leaving August post-free. So, here we go.

Today is the first day of Mother’s Day Out or “school” for Luke. He will be attending Tuesdays and Thursdays this year. I have been looking forward to MDO starting all summer. Five and a half hours, two days a week, all to myself! I have so many things planned to do.

Last night, as I fixed his lunch, and labeled everything with his name, I started getting nervous. This morning when Luke woke up at 5:45 the nerves hit my stomach. I have to admit, he made parting a little easier by insisting on getting up before the sun (he usually sleeps until at least 7:00a), and then spending the morning in destructo mode. Cheerios flew. DVDs scattered. The high chair ended up at the living room window. The rug in Luke’s room is rolled into a heap. His toy shelves are cleared. Fits were thrown. One little diapered tooshy has been spanked. Repeatedly. To no avail. His tears flowed, not in response to being spanked, but in anger and irritation at being told not to do what he wanted. Somehow, Luke and I both ended up clothed. And at 8:45a we happily exited to the garage. Luke pushed the garage door button (a new favorite thing to do), and we loaded up the car.

I felt queasy.

We rolled into the parking lot. I took a deep breath and said a little prayer. I unloaded Luke, grabbed his bag and lunchbox, took his hand, and we trekked to Room 174. We walked into the room and both just stood there, Luke taking in everything going on in the room, me wondering what to do next. Soon, one of his teachers came over to us and asked for any instructions. As I explained about Luke’s cups, pacifiers, and lamb, Luke spotted balls.

I handed his things over to the teacher and noticed he was no longer at my side. He was across the room, one beach ball in his hands, a second at his feet. I called out, “Bye-Bye, Luke.” He briefly glanced at me with a “What? You’re still here?” expression. I left.

The anticipated sense of freedom didn’t come. I was had only a vague, indescribable sense of needing to cry. My list of to-dos evaporated. I knew I wouldn’t be able to accomplish anything. So, I went and sat in my parents’ office. Even at 29 years old, I needed my mommy. I just sat there, gazing through magazines until my lunch appointment.

At 11:00am, I got to meet a new friend for lunch. It was wonderful.

I have now spent most of the last hour aimlessly wondering through my house. There is so much to do, but I can’t focus. I briefly contemplated going to pick Luke up early. Good sense overruled and I came to the computer.

Only 13 minutes left until 2:20p when I can go get my baby.

7 comments:

Hilary said...

I've missed hearing how things are going with you! I completely understand how you feel. Wayne and I are going to Senegal in December to check it out and I cry everytime I look at tickets :) I'm sure Addie will survive all this, but I'm not sure about Wayne, he has to put up with me. Glad you're doing well! I miss you.

Unknown said...

Oh he looks so cute! He's such a big boy. I know what you mean, I was lost the first few weeks of Ethan's MDO. But I PROMISE, you will snap out of it and one day look up at the clock and say "oh no I am going to be late picking him up!"
It's good to finally here from you.
Kristy

kirsten said...

Thanks for the post! Good to hear from you again. :o) I can only imagine the anticipated freedom then the ... "what do I do with myself now?" feeling. Good post, mommy. :o)

Anonymous said...

Finally....another post!! I was beginning to worry about you, possibly another surgery? (Just how many gall bladders do you have, anyway?) I love the picture of Luke. What a "little man." And your description of the first MDO angst you -- not Luke -- suffered. (Though I'm sure he was happy to see you when you picked him up!)

Keep the blogs coming, young lady! =]

Jen said...

So . . . How did Luke respond to MDO??? Are you taking him back tomorrow?

They talk about babies having seperation anxiety, but we mommies sure have our fair share of it, too.

It's good to hear your mommy stories for prespective, especially since your Luke is a bit older than my Kate.

So, please do tell the follow-up.

Jen :o)

Christin said...

Thanks, all. It is good to be back.

Hilary - It is so good to hear from you! I know how hard it is to leave your baby behind. I think it is definitely harder on Mommy and Daddy than it is baby.

Kristy - Thanks for the encouragement. I know soon the days will fly by while he's gone. I am confident that this is going to be a good thing for both of us.

Lisa - I am happy to say, I currently have 0 gall bladders. =) Of course, if you are really keeping track, I am sans spleen as well. But, I do still have tonsils, appendix, both kidneys, my full liver, and all four appendages.

Jen - Luke did go back to MDO today. He seemed happy to go this morning. He carried his lunch box to the car and then from the car to his room. He walked to his room and walked right in. I once again had to get his attention to say goodbye. I was a little extra nervous today, because I left for Nashville after dropping him off. His aunt picked him up. When I talked to her, she said he was great, though strangely without socks.

I really think MDO will be just as good for Luke as it is for me. I think he needs the chance to interact with other kids, and to be independent from me. So far, I think he is responding well. I will keep you updated.

kirsten said...

I just saw how big he is getting. In just the short time since I've seen you, he seems to be moving away from toddler territory to the land of little boys. So fast!!