Thursday, July 5, 2007

Fireworks and the Gray Whale

To celebrate the Fourth of July in true Carr Family tradition, we piled in the Gray Whale and headed to my grandmother’s farm. Now, the Gray Whale is the fifteen passenger van belonging to my dad’s office. “We” included my parents (now called Pop and Granny), my brother Jeff, his wife Cynthia, their children Noah (7), Micah (4 next month), and Amelia (21 months), my cousin Brian, his girlfriend Anne, Adam, Luke, and me. If you’re counting, we had seatbelts for three more people, but then there wouldn’t have been room for the cooler containing lunch. After an hour and forty-five minutes of lively conversation amongst adults, a very competitive showing of the quiet game between Micah and Noah, and Brian and Adam cheering on their favorite and antagonizing the opponent which resulted in waking the babies who napped maybe 30 minutes, we arrived at Grandmother Carr’s.

The boys (small and large) were all very excited, because thanks to this low pressure weather system hanging out over Texas, Grandmother who cannot remember a time in her life when her land has received so much rain, gave the okay to set off fireworks for the first time in more years than my generation can remember. So, after lunch, we trundled to the front yard during the break in the clouds and exploded fireworks. Yes, they would have been more spectacular after dark, but all the kids would have been asleep by then.

By five o’clock all were exhausted, so we piled back into the Gray Whale to head home. Ten minutes down the road, the babies were out cold, as was Micah who succumbed to sleep during another highly charged round of the quiet game, and the adults were once again chatting. Chat morphed into discussion as Anne, an elementary school teacher, reported on her recent trip to Washington DC where she attended a conference on model schools. Each of the “model” schools they looked at used a great deal of technology. Anne began explaining how what our local schools are missing is the technology element.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that my dad owns a software company at which my mother, brother, and cousin work. So, my family jumped on the conversation, enthusiastically cheering the incorporation of technology in the classroom and bemoaning the lack of said technology in our local schools. I sat nodding along until I heard:

“We need to spend much less time making our kids read things like Don Quixote and teach them things that are relevant to the world today.”

Now, if you know me, you are probably thinking that I pounced on that one like a two-year-old on a cookie. But, I am ashamed to say, I sat there too shocked to speak. My horror grew as my family continued to chew over how seventy-five percent of what kids learn in school is useless information, after all, do you really remember and use all that stuff? Who needs Shakespeare? What kids really need these days is technology, technology, technology.

I must admit, I agree technology should be in our schools. I just think it should be a classroom tool rather than the substance of a lesson. Most third graders are far more advanced in technology than I am already. As I see it, kids today don’t need a lesson in how to get the most out of their cell phones. They learn that stuff on their own. I’m not saying we shouldn’t teach our kids how to use the latest technology. I just don’t think that should be the entire substance of education. Newspapers are useful, but they don’t replace literature, something else that was proposed in the belly of the Gray Whale.

We do learn through great works of literature. We learn a higher level of thinking. I acknowledge that in most high school English classrooms, teachers are probably questioning the whats of Romeo and Juliet rather than the whys, but that doesn’t mean that literature is a waste of time. It means we need to better educate our teachers.

This morning as I was getting dressed it hit me how ironic it is that the work that started the discussion in the van was Don Quixote. I hated reading Don Quixote. The uselessness of Don Quixote’s quest irritated my drive to reach people where they are in reality. There he is, so unwilling to move forward with society, so unwilling to let go of the chivalric values that he holds so dear, that he hurts those closest to him for the sake of something that his culture left bleeding in the dust of progress.

Now I sit wondering am I Don Quixote? Do I cling to the educational methods of yesterday because they are what I know and love? Should we move to educate the next generation in what is coming rather than what has been? Where is the balance? What do you think?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're only Don Quixote if you're fighting for things that are of no value. But teaching kids to think...to learn life lessons and how to apply these lessons to their own lives...is something we're forgetting to do in this country. Why do so many kids feel ungrounded? Why is it thier generation doesn't have many shared cultural experiences (including reading "useless" books and old stories in school)? It's these very stories that create a cultural fabric. It teaches them to think. It connects them to the generations before them in a way nothing else can. The classics are the classics because they're timeless.

Maybe you ought to write an updated version of Don Quixote...throwing his pens at computer screens, driving his Pinto. =]

christianne said...

What I find very interesting is that you are taking your education in this "irrelevant" literature and applying it to your life. It stopped you up short today, for instance. It connected to real issues. Somehow, your irrelevant education became relevant, as it helped you form more questions and led you further along on your "quest."

Oh, and I wondered: is it that they think kids today need to be schooled in how to USE technology or how to BUILD technology? Very different quests, with very different models and outcomes for education.

Great post, by the way! Love the way you tell stories.

kirsten said...

GASP!! CHOKE!! Clunk. (That was me falling out of my chair).

I don't gasp, choke, & fall out of my chair because I'm shocked; it hardly surprises me that some find it so necessary to emphasize technology instead of how to think, how to use our brains, how to know where we're coming from. I am horrified because literature is so valuable and people don't even realize how much these texts are woven into the fabric of our daily lives, if they are but willing to see it.

Imagine our education sans the classics, the great works of literature. I, for one, did not like reading Don Quixote either. I wanted to bang my head against something hard when he was chasing windmills. Anyone in class with me knows how much I loathe Romeo, or that The Brothers Karamazov made my head hurt in a way it hasn't before (and hasn't since).

Technology is an important tool, yet, and thanks to it, we have easier access to more of these great works than ever. Some students may pursue it as a chosen career field, yes, but when it becomes a one-size-fits-all focus of education, then we're missing something. Technology can deliver Paradise Lost, or an analysis of King Lear ... but it can never replace those things. These works show that not only do human beings not change over time (no matter how much their environs alter), but that we struggle with the same things generation after generation, ad infinitum.

So yes. Technology certainly has its place. It makes things easier, makes things faster, makes us live quite comfortably in the world. But I still puzzle over the Grand Inquisitor, still think about Lucifer being a king in hell rather than a servant in heaven, and continue to shudder when I think of Anna Karenina, abandoning a good (albeit less-than-pleasurable)life for a few moments of pleasure that drove her to such despair that throwing herself onto the train tracks seemed the only logical solution.

These lessons are relevant because they are HUMAN lessons; these are things that are timeless and for which technology cannot offer any substitute.

Thanks for this wonderful post. I don't have time to go back & read it, so I'm not sure how coherent it is, but I do believe it's time I stepped off my little soapbox. :o)

Christin said...

Lisa - I always love to hear your perspective. Your ministry gives you such experience with kids and their issues. And, your heart sees them and understands where they come from and how they got to where they are. (That's a lot of general statements, but I think you know what I mean.) Thank you for connecting my floating thoughts to the reality of kids today. And, I don't plan on spending any more of my time on Don Quixote. He just plain irritates me. =)Though I probably should reread the book.

Christianne - I love the use of "quest" in your comment. It made me laugh. In answer to your question, I would say both. I think they were wanting to educate those who aren't technologically savvy in the use of technology. They were also wanting to promote an awareness in technology that would equip future generations to deal with, and probably create, technologies that aren't present today.

Kirsten - you make me laugh. I assure you I was mentally gasping, sputtering, and falling to the floor in the van. These people are my own flesh and blood after all! Where did I come from? =) You have so eloquently fleshed out what I could only utter as "literature teaches us to think better." (Not a great example of thinking better.) I cheered through your comment.

I should perhaps clarify that once we were home, Adam noted to me that not one of the people talking away in the van had actual classroom teaching experience. He noted that the new technologies are good for some lessons in class, but that won't work for teaching everything.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you mentioned Adam, because as I was reading this the first time, I was wondering what his perspective on this discussion was. It makes a HUGE difference when you've actually taught in a class room, and realize the limitations technology has in teaching our kids to think analytically. I love technology - you know that. (Middle-aged white woman teaching the 20 somethings how to use their computers!) However, it's a tool we use, not some holy grail that holds all the answers for tomorrow. Be sure to let Adam know I completely agree with him.

Ranting over now. Florida's really humid...like I didn't already know that or something! I realized just how humid when I got out of my car and my glasses steamed up. Like Colorado in winter, only in reverse. =]

I love when you make me (and others) think. You really need to get back to writing sometime in the future! And about those Redboxes...lol!!

I love you!

kirsten said...

That is surprising when your own flesh & blood are basically saying that studying the classics has little merit in modern-day culture.

To add to what Lisa said -- I was wondering what Adam's response would be too. Knowing what I know of him, I'm not surprised to hear that actual classroom experience changes the equation.

Glad I could make you chuckle ... and what a thought-provoking discussion.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I always knew Kirsten was a quality person. I mean, anyone who agrees with the way I think... =]

christianne said...

Hey Kirsten, I started laughing when I read your comment about Romeo. I suddenly remembered the classroom we were in, where people were sitting, and the look on your face as you shared with everyone EXACTLY what you think of that lame guy. :)

Oh, and for the record, I think The Brothers Karamazov is one of the finest works of literature. Love it!

kirsten said...

Ha!! That's great Christianne. I remember reading the play in high school thinking he was some great, romantic hero. Look at what learning to think on my own did -- I learned how LAME the guy really is!! :o)

I TOTALLY agree with you on The Brothers Karamazov. Should be required reading for the human race!

Jen said...

Christin, thanks for starting such a thought-provoking discussion. I, too, am zealous about educational issues, and especially classic literature in education.

What always gets me is that people seem to forget to ask themselves the basic question: What is the purpose or aim of education? We talk about "effectiveness"--effective at what? What are we trying to effect? I think any discussion of particular educational practices that does not frame itself within the goals of the larger educational enterprise is misguided.

So what are the aims of a holistic education? I'd say the goal is to help each student to flourish, namely, to rightly order his or her soul and body through acquisition of skills and information, growth in discernment and mental acuity, establishment of justified true beliefs, formation of Godly sentiments and habits, and growth in understanding of God, one’s self, humankind, and the rest of God’s creation so that he or she can grow deeper in the love and knowledge of God becoming more like Christ through the activity of the Holy Spirit.

Once the purpose of education is established, we can evaluate to what degree certain objectives, curricula, or strategies are "effective" or worthwhile in light of the larger project.

If I've understood the goals of education correctly, teaching the use of technology might be concieved to partially address the need for students to aquire essential skills. I suppose we could even say that learning about technology counts as knowledge of creation (God makes men and men make technology).

However, making the study of technology, or any other "practical" concern, the focal point of a student's education misses the main goal which is human flourishing. Neither knowing all the data in the world nor being the most skillful user of all the latest tools, technological or otherwise, will enable one to flourish.

Literature, on the other hand, is a supremely "humane" discipline whose soul it is to explore universal truths directly related to human flourishing. Through literature, we study goodness, beauty, and truth. We learn about ourselves, about humankind, about God, about creation. We explore what it means to flourish, to be kind, to live well. Reading literature is, as they say, joinging the great conversation of thinking human persons throughout history.

And, after all, God did give us Holy Writ. We don't keep it on papyrus scrolls anymore and maybe in a hundred years we'll no longer have leather bound paper versions either, but we will still have the Bible, the greatest literature of all, regardless of what technology stores it.

Ten years from now, will the technology students are learning about in classrooms today still be current? In five? In one? Better to teach them how to think and learn and flourish; lessons that will not be outdated tomorrow.

Christin said...

Jen - Well said! I completely agree with you. Thank you for expressing these thoughts so clearly.

This last weekend, Adam's little sister visited us. During her visit she asked us what we are going to do in fifteen years when Luke comes home and tells us he is involved in something that is against the values we adhere to as a family. My reponse was that we start now teaching Luke how to think well and make wise decisions so that maybe that day will never come. However, if it does, we continue to teach him how to think for himself, even if that includes making mistakes, and love him as he deals with the consequences of his mistakes.

I also must take a minute to brag on my genius husband. He is such a great educator. Not only does he know how to teach kids to read, he also teaches them how to live well. He takes the kid who all the other teachers have given up on, who the principal has warned, "This kid will spend most of the year in my office," and transforms him into a model student. Second graders leave his classroom knowing good manners (unfortunately a dying art) and how to treat other people with respect. He is also an expert at legally bringing God into his public school classroom. On more than one occassion, a parent has asked in grateful disbelief, "What have you done to my child?"

I also must relay that Adam talked about this subject further with my brother. After presenting a small case about the usefulness and necessity of literature, my brother quickly agreed that he had been caught up in the discussion and didn't really think that literature is useless. His real objection to the current schooling patterns is how students are taught the same thing over and over again. For example, he had to take American History in 8th grade, again in 9th grade, and again in 12th grade. He protests this because according to him, he learned American History in 8th grade and did not need to relearn everything again and again. I believe him on this. He has the type mind that easily grasps such things and keeps them. I on the other hand, though I attended the same schools and mostly the same classes, still could not tell you more American History than the basics.

This just goes to show that education should be individualized rather than one-size-fits-all. Check out the Davidson Academy of Reno (www.davidsonacademy.unr.edu). They are pioneering individualized education as a whole. There are no grade levels in the school because each kid is taught at the point where they are. And, it's a FREE public day school.