Friday, June 1, 2007

My Mesquites

This is the view out my study window. It is my favorite tree - the one that twists and curves over the other and is so horizontal it requires a brace.

Growing up in West Texas, I took mesquite trees for granted. They make delicious barbecue, but mostly they are ugly little shrubs along the highway. They produce horribly long, sharp thorns that can pierce the sole of your tennis shoe, and bean pods cover the ground beneath.

Then I saw the mesquites in my yard. They are old and huge for mesquite trees. They wind and curve around each other. I fell in love with them. They are old enough that they no longer bear many thorns, and I have yet to see a bean pod, though they will probably be falling in a few months. I look at my trees and see the art of God in nature.

The boys in my family think they are great for climbing. I am sure that soon Luke will join in jumping from the low-lying trunks. But, I just like to gaze from my study window, ponder the graceful curves of hard trunks, and thank God for his jovial design.

4 comments:

christianne said...

Amen to that! I am a tree lover big-time -- on my first visit to Winter Park to visit Kirk, he made sure to drive me by all the best trees in Winter Park on my very first evening here, and whenever I'm on a trip and discover a great old tree, I definitely get a picture with me in it, and sometimes hugging it! Trees are just so beautiful. They have so much personality, so much character, so much real life personhood to them, I think. I feel the ache of their souls sometimes, and even feel their loneliness or friendliness.

I love these mesquite trees you get to enjoy in your very own yard. Very unique!

Anonymous said...

You know I'm going to be climbing those with Noah and Mica!

They're really beautiful. It looks like an great place to make a life. And I can't wait to see you...less than 2 weeks now! =]

Christin said...

Christianne-How romantic! It is so sweet that Kirk knew your heart for trees and took you on a tree tour. I agree with you on trees having so much personality. One of the great things about living in an old neighborhood is all the old trees. They are each so different. It makes me think about God sculpting each tree as it sprouts and grows.

Have you ever been to Oak Alley Plantation near New Orleans? It has the biggest, oldest oak trees I have ever seen. It takes at least 3-4 people holding hands to reach around the trunks. They use the plantation exterior often in movies. I saw it in something recently, but can't remember what it was. I know for sure they used it in Interview with a Vampire.

Lisa-You are welcome to come climb my trees anytime! I am looking forward to seeing you in a couple weeks. I started getting nervous about being away from Luke for a week. When I told Adam, he said he was ready for me to be gone for a week. He quickly ammended his statement to say that he was excited to have Luke all to himself for a week.

kirsten said...

Beautiful trees! I can see why you are in love with them.